Financial development and exports of manufactured goods in Latin American countries

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

3 Scopus citations


Using time series data, we test the causality between exports of manufactured goods and financial development in eleven Latin American countries (LACs). This particular relationship is especially important in the context of LACs since export diversification away from resources and agriculture is crucial for growth strategy of these countries. Our results show that in 36% of the countries in our sample, financial development causes manufactured exports and vis-á-vis for the remaining 64%. To understand these differences in causality, we explore a number of related factors. Generally, our results appear to be at odds with the extant literature but are explained when we rely on the particular characteristics of Latin American economies.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)81-96
Number of pages16
JournalTransformations in Business and Economics
Issue number1
StatePublished - 2014

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Business and International Management
  • Social Sciences (miscellaneous)
  • Economics and Econometrics
  • Political Science and International Relations
  • Marketing


Dive into the research topics of 'Financial development and exports of manufactured goods in Latin American countries'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this