Genetic and environmental influences on global family conflict.

Briana N. Horwitz, Jenae M. Neiderhiser, Jody M. Ganiban, Erica L. Spotts, Paul Lichtenstein, David Reiss

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

8 Scopus citations


This study examined genetic and environmental influences on global family conflict. The sample comprised 872 same-sex pairs of twin parents, their spouses/partners, and one adolescent child per twin from the Twin and Offspring Study in Sweden. The twins, spouses, and child each reported on the degree of family conflict, and there was significant agreement among the family members' ratings. These shared perspectives were explained by one common factor, indexing global family conflict. Genetic influences explained 36% of the variance in this common factor, suggesting that twins' heritable characteristics contribute to family conflict, via genotype-environment correlation. Nonshared environmental effects explained the remaining 64% of this variance, indicating that twins' unique childhood and/or current family experiences also play an important role. 2010 APA, all rights reserved

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)217-220
Number of pages4
JournalJournal of family psychology : JFP : journal of the Division of Family Psychology of the American Psychological Association (Division 43)
Issue number2
StatePublished - Apr 2010

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • General Psychology


Dive into the research topics of 'Genetic and environmental influences on global family conflict.'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this