Malignant mesothelioma

Sunil Singhal, Mitchell Machtay, Larry R. Kaiser

Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceedingChapter


Mesotheliomas are primary neoplasms of the serosal membranes of the body cavities. Eighty percent of mesotheliomas originate in the pleural space. Other sites of origin for this tumor include the peritoneum, pericardium, tunica vaginalis testis, and ovarian epithelium. Most reports describe a ratio of pleural to peritoneal mesotheliomas of 10:1, with the other serosal membranes affected only rarely. Malignant pleural mesotheliomas account for only 5% of intrapleural tumors with the other 95% accounted for by tumors metastatic to the pleural space.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Title of host publicationIntegrated Cancer Management
Subtitle of host publicationSurgery, Medical Oncology, and Radiation Oncology
PublisherCRC Press
Number of pages47
ISBN (Electronic)9780824746780
ISBN (Print)9780824771959
StatePublished - Jan 1 1999

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • General Medicine


Dive into the research topics of 'Malignant mesothelioma'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this