Normal spectral emittance of alumina based materials

Michael A. Postlethwait, Michael F. Modest, Mark A. Botch, John R. Hellmann

Research output: Contribution to journalConference articlepeer-review

6 Scopus citations


The normal, spectral emittance of two alumina materials, Diamonite and GENDD alumina, was measured over the spectral range from 1 to 8 micrometer and the temperature range from 500 to 1300°C. Both materials consist of 94% alumina by weight, with the remaining 6% comprised of a silica based binder. The binder also contains trace amounts of metal oxides, which vary for the two materials. Emittance data were collected for both materials in the as-received condition and after crystallization of the binder. The emittance results displayed slight spectral variation between the two materials over the range from 1 to 4 micrometer, and for each material there were no noticeable changes in the emittance following crystallization of the binder.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)73-77
Number of pages5
JournalAmerican Society of Mechanical Engineers, Heat Transfer Division, (Publication) HTD
StatePublished - 1994
EventProceedings of the 6th AIAA/ASME Thermophysics and Heat Transfer Conference. Part 1 (of 10) - Colorado Springs, CO, USA
Duration: Jun 20 1994Jun 23 1994

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Mechanical Engineering
  • Fluid Flow and Transfer Processes


Dive into the research topics of 'Normal spectral emittance of alumina based materials'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this