Phase II evaluation of 9-aminocamptothecin (9-AC, NSC #603071) in platinum-resistant ovarian and primary peritoneal carcinoma: A Gynecologic Oncology Group Study

David Scott Miller, John A. Blessing, Steven Waggoner, Jeanne Schilder, Joel Sorosky, Jeffrey Bloss, Russell Schilder

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

20 Scopus citations


To estimate the antitumor activity of 9-aminocamptothecin (9-AC) in patients with recurrent platinum-"resistant" ovarian cancer; and to determine the nature and degree of toxicity of 9-AC in this cohort of patients. A multicenter phase II study was conducted by the Gynecologic Oncology Group (GOG). Patients were to receive 9-AC (colloidal dispersion) 25 μg/m 2/h (600 μg/m 2/day) IV over 120 h (5 days) beginning days 1 and 8. Dose adjustment was permitted for toxicity. This schedule was repeated every 21 days until disease progression or unacceptable adverse events. Hematopoietic growth factor support was used as necessary. From January 1999 to December 2000, 29 member institutions of the GOG enrolled 58 patients. Two patients received no therapy; thus, 56 (97%) were evaluable. Median age was 61 (range: 33-81) years. A median of four (range: 1-32) courses of 9-AC was administered. The most frequent grade 3 or 4 toxicities were neutropenia in 46%, leukopenia in 37%, gastrointestinal in 29%, anemia in 25%, and thrombocytopenia in 21%. There was one possible treatment-related death. There were four (7%) complete and four (7%) partial responses, for an overall response rate of 14%. Eighteen (32%) patients had stable disease, 22 (39%) progressed, and response could not be assessed in 8 (14%). The 9-AC at this dose and schedule showed limited activity comparable to that seen with other agents in platinum-resistant ovarian or primary peritoneal cancer.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)67-71
Number of pages5
JournalGynecologic Oncology
Issue number1
StatePublished - Jan 2005

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Oncology
  • Obstetrics and Gynecology

Cite this