Primary Mass Closure of Fascial Incisions Using a Continuous Absorbable Suture

Joel I. Sorosky, William J. Hewett, Paul F. Kaminski, Edward S. Podczaski

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

1 Scopus citations

Abstract

Investigations with animal models and reported studies from the obstetric and gynecologic literature as well as the general surgical literature have suggested that a single mass closure is equal or superior to interrupted suture techniques. Over a 12-month period, 150 patients were operated on using a continuous mass technique for fascial closure with No. 1 polydioxanone suture (PDS). One hundred thirty-five patients (90%) had risk factors that placed them at increased likelihood for wound complications. No fascial disruptions occurred. Wound complications were noted in 15 patients (10%). This technique merits wider use.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)41-45
Number of pages5
JournalJournal of Gynecologic Surgery
Volume7
Issue number1
DOIs
StatePublished - 1991

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Surgery
  • Obstetrics and Gynecology

Cite this