Role of topoisomerase I inhibitors in small-cell lung cancer

S. Shihabi, C. P. Belani

Research output: Contribution to journalReview articlepeer-review

5 Scopus citations


Lung cancer continues to be the leading cause of cancer-related death in the United States. Small-cell lung cancer constitutes 15%-20% of all cases of lung cancer. It is a chemosensitive disease with an overall response rate of 70%-90% in first-line treatment. However, the majority of patients relapse, and further treatment at that time is unlikely to achieve a durable response. Among the new drugs studied in this disease, topoisomerase I inhibitors are emerging as active agents with significant activity in both untreated and relapsed disease. This paper reviews the current status of irinotecan and topotecan in the treatment of small-cell lung cancer.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)275-281
Number of pages7
JournalClinical Lung Cancer
Issue number4
StatePublished - 2001

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Oncology
  • Pulmonary and Respiratory Medicine
  • Cancer Research


Dive into the research topics of 'Role of topoisomerase I inhibitors in small-cell lung cancer'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this