Two populations of sympathetic neurons project selectively to mesenteric artery or vein

Kirsteen N. Browning, Zhongling Zheng, David L. Kreulen, R. Alberto Travagli

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

30 Citations (SciVal)


The objective of this study was to determine whether sympathetic neurons of the inferior mesenteric ganglion (IMG) projecting to mesenteric arteries could be distinguished by their localization, neurochemical phenotype, and electrophysiological properties from neurons projecting to mesenteric veins. In an in vitro intact vasculature-IMG preparation, neurons were labeled following intraluminal injection of Fluoro-Gold or rhodamine beads into the inferior mesenteric artery (IMA) or vein (IMV). The somata of neurons projecting to IMA were localized in the central part of the IMG, whereas those projecting to IMV were localized more peripherally. None of the labeled neurons was doubly labeled. Neuropeptide Y immunoreactivity was found in 18.9% of neurons innervating the IMA, but not in neurons innervating the IMV. Identified neurons were dissociated and characterized using whole cell patch- clamp recording. After direct soma depolarization, all of the labeled arterial and venous neurons were classified as tonic firing, compared with only 40% of unlabeled neurons; the remaining 60% of unlabeled neurons were phasic firing. The results indicate that IMG neurons projecting to mesenteric arteries are distinct from neurons projecting to mesenteric veins.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)H1263-H1272
JournalAmerican Journal of Physiology - Heart and Circulatory Physiology
Issue number4 45-4
StatePublished - Apr 1999

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Physiology
  • Cardiology and Cardiovascular Medicine
  • Physiology (medical)


Dive into the research topics of 'Two populations of sympathetic neurons project selectively to mesenteric artery or vein'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this